Funding The Scholarship
The WAAH holds annual events to raise money for the scholarship fund, and we always welcomes donations to the Scholarship Fund. Since the WAAH is a registered charity, tax receipts will be given for donations of $25 and over. The WAAH encourages its members and community members to support the scholarships and to become a member of the Art Gallery of Hamilton.
In the past, members raised the capital with bridge games. At one time the WAAH had 114 tables at the Connaught Hotel. Every table received a prize. It was a gala evening until the costs defeated the idea. Life member Margaret Henderson then organized the bridge marathon played in members' homes. At one time 40 couples attended and a small fee was charged which would go towards the scholarship fund.
The WAAH also had day trips, week long trips, lunches, teas, draws for gifts, and galas.
Historical Perspective: 1946 to 2010
In 1945, Juanita LeBarre Symington proposed that a scholarship fund be established. After members of the Women's Art Association of Hamilton had raised money for the new Art Gallery on Forsyth Street, Hamilton, and given a number of paintings to the Art Gallery, the Scholarship Program was established in 1947.
The capital was given by patrons: Wilhelmina 'Mina' Alexander; Lady McLaren Brown; Edythe Burroughs; Honorary President Mrs. Newton D. 'Clara Elizabeth' Galbreaith; Honorary Patron Mrs. Ray 'Helen' Lawson (wife of the Lieutenant Governor); Charlotte Tutty Le Barre; Mrs. James Roberts and charter members: Nina Alexander, Margaret Elizabeth Galbreaith, Ivy Mukiel Hannaford, Florence Wilson Jones, Agnes Grosvenor Mackie, Amy Elsie Putnam, and Juanita LeBarre Symington.
In 1947 the first tuition scholarship was given to the Ontario College of Art (now OCAD University). Since then, scholarships have been given to McMaster University, Redeemer University College, the Viola Depew Award to Sir John A. Macdonald Secondary School, and a scholarship to the Dundas Valley School of Art.